Northside Nature Preserve
From Perplex City Wiki
- Owned by a private conservation interest group, Nature's Trust.
- As part the 2005 Summer Festival, the Solstice Gambol trekked thru or near this region.
- Subject of controversy and public protest regarding development of the preserve in early 2005.
- The Old Town is seen by many as crowded, expensive to maintain, and crime ridden.
- The Perplex City Council elected to open up the Northside Nature Preserve to development
- In March 2005, The Northside was approved for sale to real estate developers.
- In April 2005, a protest was staged, and many were arrested, including Academy professor Estelle Sedgewick
- In June 2005, this area was purchased by The Nature's Trust, effectively ending the probability of development in the area.
- This purchase was approved with a 6-3 vote by the the City Council.
- As part of the sale agreement, a portion of the money going to the city must be spent in renovating parts of The Old Town.
- Nature's Trust, however, do not plan to build on the Northside property at all.
- On July 26th 2005, a protest was staged in which 350 individuals rallied against soaring real estate prices in Old Town.
- City Council member Nathan Earlywine reminded protesters of the Northside development plan, which was to reduce these prices.
- 21-MAR-05 - At a press conference, City Council Leader Camryn Scott announces the Northside Nature Preserve is open for sale to real estate developers link
- 11-APR-05 - 2,000 protestors gather in Polygon Park, police arrest the five major speakers and organisers at the protest link
- 13-JUN-05 - Sale of the Northside Preserve is approved by a 6-3 vote, to a private conservation interest group, Nature's Trust, effectively killing all debate of development.
- 29-JUN-05 - The Brotherhood of the Six publicly supports building in The Old Town (over alternative sites such as the Northside)
- 26-JUL-05 - 350 Youth protest skyrocketing housing prices; are reminded of the Northside Development Plan.
- 30-JAN-06 - Reconstructionists are revealed to be the biggest investors in Nature Trust
- This may danage the financial future of the Old Town Redevolpment effort.
- Perplex City Sentinel
- article, 21-MAR-05 "City Opens Northside" link
- article, 11-APR-05 "Five Arrested During Northside Protest" link
- Letter, 18-APR-05, from Cora Howell
- Letter, 18-APR-05, from J. Beloc, Earth
- article, 20-APR-05 "Dev in Northside Supported, Poll Finds" link
- article, 15-MAY-05 "View from Earth: Urban Boundaries" link
- article, 13-JUN-05 "Northside Preserve Development Killed" link
- article, 30-JUN-05 "Brotherhood Supports Urban Renewal" link
- article, 27-JUL-05 "Youth March Protests City Housing Policies" link
- feature, 23-DEC-05 "Year in Review: Newsmakers of 268" link
- article, 30-JAN-06 "Northside Bombshell: Reconstructionists Part of Nature Trust" link